Friday, February 16, 2018

Desperately seeking the fountain of middle age

Well, its official, I have a date with the surgeon for a total knee replacement. He warned me of the dangers, the recovery, the possibility that this won't solve my pain. I said we had to try. I'm not looking for the fountain of youth that takes me back to my twenties; I'm looking for the fountain of middle age that allows me to enjoy my forties.

So now I have to prepare. I wish I could build up my leg muscles to what they were before I got hurt, but that's the problem with this traumatic arthritis, its so painful that every step is miserable. The house needs rearranged and readied. My husband and kids need to prepare. I need to prepare at work. There is so much to be done. I have my lists started. My husband has his started too.

I've made the mistake of watching a couple of YouTube videos on what the surgeon will do . I don't recommend doing this if you are ever facing a major surgery. I was a little grossed out and wavered on whether I really wanted the surgeon attacking my knee with drills, saws, mallets and screwdrivers. It's such an invasive surgery that I really wondered if the results will be better than what I have right now. In the end, I've decided that even if it doesn't solve the pain, it probably won't leave me much worse than I am normally.

The doctor warned me that it would take at least a year to fully recover and feel better if this works. I've got a lot of hope that in another year I'll be able to start making up for the time I've lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment